Minutes from downtown Washington, DC


Historic Themes ARCHAEOLOGY & NATIVE AMERICANS
18TH CENTURY & ANTEBELLUM PERIOD
COMMERCE, INDUSTRY & SCIENCE
TRANSPORTATION
WAR OF 1812
POLITICAL & SOCIAL HISTORY
CIVIL SOCIETY
AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY
20TH CENTURY
Search Tools ALPHABETICAL
GEOGRAPHICAL
TOPICAL
DRIVING TOURS
WATER & BOAT TOURS
RESOURCES
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES


FREE Prince George's
Visitors Guide Click here...










Transportation

Civil Society...

IN HISTORIC PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY


 

Education—The field of education is represented by many historic sites in Prince George's County, from the one-room schoolhouse to the state university. Examples include Friendly School, Seabrook School, and Berwyn Heights Schoolhouse. Other examples include surviving Rosenwald schools built for African-American students in rural areas in the 1920s and 1930s.

Law—Many important Prince Georgeans achieved renown in the field of law, and their houses and offices survive as reminders of these endeavors, and the prominence of the Upper Marlboro bar. These include The Marietta House and Law Office (the home of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Gabriel Duvall).

Special activities, programs, and events are held at our Historic sites throughout the year. Click here for our Calendar of Events.

Photos are courtesy of their respective websites.


Abraham HallAbraham Hall
7612 Old Muirkirk Road

Beltsville, MD 20705

240-264-3415

Additional Resource

Constructed in 1889, Abraham Hall is located in the historic African-American community of Rossville. The first African-American historic site in Prince George's to be fully restored utilizing public funds, Abraham Hall served as a meeting hall, house of worship, school, and social hall. It was constructed by the Benevolent Sons & Daughters of Abraham. Renovated and re-dedicated in 2009, the building houses the Black History Program of the Maryland-National Capital & Planning Commission, Prince George's County Parks & Recreation.


Calvert Hills
Calvert Hills MD 20737

Calvert Hills is a small section of College Park situated between the famed Cafritz property and the Old Town of College Park. In 2003, the neighborhood was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The neighborhood's defining feature is the old trolley trail, a raised berm that was recently upgraded with a $90,000 grant from the State of Maryland.


Cedarville Charcoal Kiln

Cedarville State Forest Road

Brandywine MD 20613

301-888-1410

Additional Resource

1940s, cinder block kiln with dirt floor. The structure is significant for its association with the Civilian Conservation Corps and its unique form and function in Prince George's County and the State of Maryland.


Chew's Bridge

6900 Van Wagner Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

1898, 90-foot-long wood and iron bridge supported by upright posts constructed of iron Phoenix sections. Built to span the tracks of the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad, and connect two parts of Judge Chew's Ellerslie farm; only known bridge surviving from the early years of this railroad line; owned by Consolidated Rail Corporation.


Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Cottages

Cedarville State Forest Road

Brandywine MD 20613

Additional Resource

1940s, 1 1/2 story, two-bay frame cottages with brick chimneys and exposed rafter tails under roof eaves. Excellent example of CCC construction; the modest vernacular utilitarian buildings are significant for their CCC association within the Cedarville State Forest.


Coffren Store
10007 Croom Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

c. 1853, 1860 two-story frame store building with catslide roof retains original interior elements of store and post office; Built for John Coffren, who served as postmaster and storekeeper in third quarter of 19th century.


College Park Aviation Museumcollege park aviation museum
1985 Corporal Frank Scott Drive

College Park MD 20740

301-864-6029

Additional Resource

1909 (established); museum stands on site of original hangar. Oldest continuously used airport in United States; Wilbur Wright worked there in 1909.


Dorsey ChapelDorsey Chapel

10704 Brookland Road

Glenn Dale MD 20769

240-264-3415

Additional Resource

Dorsey Chapel is a small meeting-house-style church which served as the spiritual and social center of the rural African-American community of Brookland at the turn of the 20th century. Construction of the chapel was completed in 1900; it was named after its first minister, the Reverend A.B. Dorsey. A small, active congregation occupied the chapel from 1900 to 1971. In 1971, the congregation merged with the congregation from Perkins Chapel to form Glenn Dale United Methodist Church, and Dorsey Chapel was no longer used. Initially scheduled for demolition in 1980, the Friends of Dorsey Chapel organized efforts to preserve and restore the Church.


Dueling Grounds Dueling Grounds

37th Avenue

Colmar Manor MD 20722

Additional Resource

Grassy park area located on part of Chillum Castle Manor, patented to William Digges in 1763. Scene of at least 26 recorded duels during first half of 19th century; most famous was the 1820 meeting between Commodores James Barron and Stephen Decatur, in which the latter was fatally wounded.


Duvall Tobacco Barns

North of Marlton Avenue within Rosaryville State Park

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

301-856-9656

Additional Resource

Late 19th, early 20th century; the Duvall Barn Complex consists of two barns, a silo, two hay pens, and a shed. The barns were constructed for George T. Duvall; the property on which the barns are located was later deeded to the State of Maryland Department of Natural Resources for the creation of Rosaryville State Park; the barns exhibit different types of traditional agricultural forms and materials and are excellent examples of Late 19th and early 20th century agricultural structures.


Fairmont Heights School

737 61st Avenue

Fairmont Heights MD 20743

301-925-1360

Additional Resource

1912; 2 story frame schoolhouse of institutional Foursquare form; a pyramidal roof cupola rises from the front plane of the hip roof and the original school bell is preserved inside. Designed by noted black architect William Sidney Pittman of Washington, D. C.; after its construction, it had the only facilities for industrial training of blacks in Prince George's County; Served as school until 1934; important landmark in Fairmont Heights.


Forest Grove M.E. Church (Chapel #2)

Fechet Avenue

Andrews Air Force Base MD 20762

301-981-2273

Additional Resource

1914 frame chapel with crenelated tower. Interior renovated after fire in 1985; third chapel on this site includes 1854 chapel in the no-longer existing village of Centerfield, 1880 chapel destroyed by windstorm in 1914.


Fort Foote Fort Foote Park

8900 block of Fort Foote Road

Fort Washington MD 20744

301-763-4600

Additional Resource

1863, remains of Civil War fort, including earthworks, 10 gun mounts, 2 Rodman guns, and concrete magazine. Southenmost of 68 forts erected during Civil War to defend Washington; now part of park system.


Fort Lincoln CemeteryFort Lincoln Cemetary

3401 Bladensburg Road

Brentwood MD

Additional Resource

Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by an act of the Maryland General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres. Fort Lincoln Cemetery was named after Fort Lincoln which strategically protected the nation's capitol during the Civil War. Fort Lincoln became the headquarters for the Second Pennsylvania Veteran Heavy Artillery. Men from this unit staffed Battery Jameson. The historic marker for the Battle of Bladensburg can be found behind the mausoleum of this cemetery.


Fort Washington National ParkFort Washington Park

13551 Fort Washington Road

Fort Washington MD 20744

301-763-4600

Additional Resource

Fort Washington has stood as a silent sentry defending the Nation's Capital, for over 180 years. As technologies advanced so did Fort Washington. Fort Washington is one of the few remaining Seacoast Forts in its original designs. The first Fort Washington was completed in 1809 and guarded the Nation's Capital until it was destroyed by its own garrison in 1814. Twelve days later Major Pierre L'Enfant was sent to construct new defenses but worked on the Fort for only a brief period before Lieutenant Colonel Walker K. Armistead replaced him. The Fort was completed on October 2, 1824. Extensive remodeling was performed in the 1840s and the first guns were mounted in 1846. Except for a few guns at the Washington Arsenal, Fort Washington was the only defense for the Nation's Capital until the Civil War when a circle of temporary forts was built around the city.


Free Hope Baptist Church Free Hope Baptist Church

4107 47th Street

Bladensburg MD 20710

301-779-1278

Additional Resource

818, 1908, brick gable-roof church with later bell tower and lower gable-roof addition. Third Presbyterian church building in Bladensburg; sold to black Baptist congregation in 1874; sole surviving historic structure in industrial area.


Friendly School

10115 Old Fort Road

Fort Washington MD 20744

301-449-4900

Additional Resource

1890s and 1920s, small 1/2 story frame front-gabled structure, converted from one-room schoolhouse to residence. A schoolhouse has stood at this location since before the Civil War; one of few schoolhouses in the county surviving from the 19th century.


Gibbons Methodist Episcopal Church Site, Education Building & Cemetery
Gibbons Church Road

Brandywine MD 20613

301-372-6250

1920s, 1 story frame building with gable-end facade; cemetery c. 1900 onward. Founded by a group formerly enslaved African-Americans in 1884 who constructed a frame church building in 1889; it was demolished in 1967; congregations like this helped build a sense of community and self-determination among members in an era when political, social, and economic opportunities were limited by the failure of Reconstruction-era reforms and the structures of government-sponsored segregation.


Greenbelt Community Center (formerly Greenbelt Center School) Greenbelt Community Center

15 Crescent Road

Greenbelt MD 20770

301-379-2208

Additional Resource

Originally called Center School, this outstanding example of streamlined Art Deco architecture was completed in the autumn of 1937, just as the first residents of Greenbelt moved in. Greenbelt is a planned community that was designed and built by the federal government as part of FDRs New Deal. Built to put people to work, to provide affordable housing for low income familes, and be a model of modern town planning in the United States, the community thrived and Center School was used by residents for meetings, adult education classes, recreation, clubs and sports teams, a town hall, a library, and church services. A new wing was added in 1967, then, following the school's closure in 1993, it was renovated and reopened in 1996 as a dedicated Community Center. The building now houses classes of all kinds, meeting space, services for seniors, a nursery school, artist's studios, the Greenbelt Museum's exhibit room and office, the Greenbelt News Review's office, Greenbelt's public access television studio, summer camps, and an auditorium/gymnasium. The building features curved aerodynamic struts along front facade and bas relief sculpted panels depicting the Preamble to the Constitution carved by Lenore Thomas, a New Deal WPA artist.


Greenbelt Museum Greenbelt Museum

10-B Crescent Road

Greenbelt MD 20770

301-507-6582

Additional Resource

The Greenbelt Museum's historic house is one of the original townhomes built in 1937 as part of the federal government's experiment in town planning. Greenbelt is one of three federal "greentowns" (the others are Greendale, WI, and Greenhills, OH). Greenbelt's team of prominent planners and architects attempted to create a small utopia using the principles of garden-city planning which included superblocks, underpasses, pedestrian walkways and carefully designed housing. The International Style or modernist museum house is typical of the housing built in Greenbelt and has been restored and furnished with objects which depict the everyday life of a family in the late 1930s and 1940s. The house also features furniture designed by the federal government and the walls are hung with original architectural renderings and artwork created by New Deal artists and architects. The Greenbelt Museum was founded in 1987 on the occasion of the city's 50th anniversary and in 1997, Greenbelt became a National Historic Landmark.


GSFC Magnetic Test Sitenasa goddard space flight center

10100b Good Luck Road

Beltsville MD 20705

1966, 60-foot square building constructed of nonmagnetic materials. Unique facility for testing large satellites and calibrating spacecraft magnetometers; essential for operation of U.S. manned and unmanned space program; part of Goddard Space Flight Center.


Holy Family Roman Catholic Church Holy Family Roman Catholic Church

12010 Woodmore Road

Mitchellville MD 20721

301-249-2266

Additional Resource

1 1/2 story frame church with long, steeply pitched gable roof, Gothic arch windows and prominent belfry; grounds include Rectory and new Parish Hall.
Fine example of late Victorian ecclesiastical architecture with Gothic-and Stick-style decorative elements; originally served local black Catholic community; an established visual feature. Holy Family Church was built to serve the local Black Catholic community of then rural Woodmore and Mitchellville. It is a fine example of late Victorian ecclesiastical architecture with Gothic and stick style decorative elements. Built in 1890 by parishioners, mostly local black tenant farmers, Holy Family is a front gabled frame church.


Hyattsville Commercial Area

4130 Gallatin Street

Hyattsville MD 20781

301-985-5000

Additional Resource


Lake ArtemesiaLake Artemesia Natural Area Park

600 Cleveland Avenue

College Park MD 20740

301-927-2163

Additional Resource

Built around a 38-acre lake, this beautiful park includes an aquatic garden, handicapped-accessible fishing pier and over two miles of hiker-biker trails.


Lakeland Community High School

Maryland

Additional Resource

1925 Neoclassical brick Rosenwald school with a 1940s addition. One of the first high schools for blacks in the county; built to serve the communities of Bladensburg, Brentwood, north Brentwood, Lakeland, Ammendale, Muirkirk and Laurel.


Laurel Historical Society and Museumlaurel historical society museum

817 Main Street

Laurel MD 20707

301-725-7975

Additional Resource

Located in a former mill-workers' home, this museum houses collections of books, photographs, tools, personal artifacts, textiles, and oral histories. Its main floor is the site of exhibits devoted to the history of Laurel and the surrounding community. Downstairs is devoted to the gift shop, additional exhibits, and an audio-visual area. The 2,590-square-foot brick and stone building was erected in the early 1840s by mill owners to house their employees.


Marietta House MuseumMarietta House Museum

5626 Bell Station Road

Glenn Dale MD 20769

301-464-5291

Additional Resource

Marietta, the Federal-style brick home of Gabriel Duvall, an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built circa 1813, Marietta remained under ownership of the Duvall family until 1902. Justice Duvall's law office and root cellar remain today. Marietta operates as an historic house museum and is furnished and interpreted to reflect the three generations of Duvall's that occupied the house.


Market Master's HouseMarket Master's House

4006 48th Street

Bladensburg MD 20710

Additional Resource

c. 1765, 1 1/2 story side-gabled house built of non local stone. Built by Christopher Lowndes of Bostwick on lot overlooking adjoining market space; unique example of its type, one of four surviving pre-Revolutionary buildings in Bladensburg.


Marlboro Hunt ClubMarlboro Hunt Club

5902 Green Landing Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

410-268-6969

Additional Resource

c. 1855, 1880 and 1920s, two-story board-and-batten structure expanded from original central three-bay section to nine bays in length; 19th-century French hunt-scene wallpaper. Originally a small domestic structure at mid-19th century steamboat landing on Patuxent River; became hunt club in 1880s, visited by Theodore Roosevelt and other prominent gentlemen hunters".


Mattaponi & Cemetery

11000 Mattaponi Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

301-952-9074

Additional Resource

18th century, rebuilt c. 1820, two-story hip-roof brick house (Flemish bond) with flanking wings; fine interior detail of transitional Federal/Greek Revival period; several barns on property; significantly altered in the 1950s. Country home of Governor Robert Bowie, rebuilt in then-current style after his death in 1818.


McCormick-Goodhart Mansion

8100 15th Avenue

Hyattsville MD 20783

Additional PDF Resource

1924 massive 2 1/2 story Georgian Revival brick mansion with Ionic entrance portico. Designed by George Oakley Totten, Jr., for Frederick and Henrietta McCormick-Goodhart who named it Langley Park after the Goodhart estate in England.


Montpelier of Moore's Plains

Montpelier of Moore's Plains

1714 Crain Highway SE

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

Additional Resource

Mid-19th century, rebuilt 1940s, 2 story hip-roof frame plantation house with 20th-century brick veneer, kitchen wing and portico. Built originally for Stephen Belt, and rebuilt by Keene Bowie in 1940s; a prominent local landmark.


Morrill Hall

University of Maryland

College Park MD 20742

1892, 3-story, 7-bay-wide, 6-bay-deep educational building designed in the Second Empire style. The building is named after Justin Smith Morrill, a
Vermont politician who wrote the first Land Grant Act.


Mount Airy Mansion Mount Airy Mansion

8714 Rosaryville Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

301-856-9656

Additional Resource

c. 1740 and late 18th century, complex three-part brick structure, incorporating early 18th-century gambrel-roof dwelling; rebuilt after 1931 fire, and recently renovated as a country inn; historic outbuildings include stable and greenhouse. Home of Calvert family during Provincial period, later frequently visited by George Washington; in this century, home of Matilda R. Duvall and Eleanor "Cissy" Patterson. The original part of the house was built as a hunting lodge by Charles Calvert, the Third Lord Baltimore, when he came from England around 1660. The dwelling then consisted of one 50 foot room with fireplaces on each end. This room is one of the loveliest in the house, which now consists of 13 large rooms. Parties, great and small, weddings, births, deaths, visits from seven Presidents all have left their mark, leaving a wonderful feeling of expectancy to the lovely old home.


Mount NeboMount Nebo A.M.E. Church & Cemetery

17214 Queen Anne Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20774

301-249-7545

Additional Resource

1925 one-story frame gable-roof meeting-house with centered entry tower, built to replace 1877 chapel. Exemplifies the long history of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in this rural area; with adjoining school became focal point for local black community.


National Archives at College Park national archives in college park

8601 Adelphi Road

College Park MD 20740

301-837-2000

Additional Resource

The National Archives at College Park is best known as the current home of the Richard Nixon/Watergate tapes. This state-of-the-art archival facility houses an extensive collection of important and historic documents, tapes, and film.


National Wildlife Visitor Centernational wildlife visitors center

10901 Scarlet Tanager Loop

Laurel MD 20708

301-497-5580

Additional Resource

The center is located at the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service's 12,000-acre Patuxent Research Refuge, established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1936. Explore wildlife and the environment in a Smithsonian-quality experience featuring interactive exhibits. The focus is on global environmental issues, migratory bird studies, habitats, endangered species, and life cycles. Magnificent walking trails are also available. But for those who would rather sit, enjoy the view from the tram tours).


North Brentwood

5008 Queensbury Road

North Brentwood MD 20722

301-699-9699

Additional Resource

North Brentwood was the first African-American incorporated Town in the Prince George's County. It is situated six miles northeast of the ellipse between Mt. Rainier and Hyattsville, Maryland. North Brentwood was originally part of the "Castle Tract", later known as the "Highlands". In 1887 Captain Wallace Bartlett formed Holladay Land and Improvement Division. He sold plots of land in the low area, subject to flooding, to African-Americans. He dedicated this land in memory of the black regiment which served under him in the civil war. Land was designated for churches and a school.


Nottingham Schoolhouse

17410 Nottingham Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

1911, 1-story, 3-bay vernacular building has a front gabled roof with overhanging eaves; a 1-story, 3-bay projecting front-gabled wing on the facade forms the primary entrance. Built on the site of a previous school, using materials from that building.


Old Bells Methodist Church & Cemetery

6016 Allentown Road

Suitland MD 20746

1910, Frame gable-roof church building with corner bell tower and decorative pressed metal ceiling; grounds include modern church/parish hall building. Built on site of antebellum Beall's meetinghouse; good example of Gothic Revival-style church popular in the county early in this century.


Old Marlboro High School

14524 Elm Street

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

301-887-6700

Additional Resource

1921, 1934, mission-style masonry school with neoclassical auditorium added on the the front in 1934. Designed by Thomas H. Marsden/Hollyday & Stahl and a highly visible landmark in Upper Marlboro.


Old Marlboro Primary School

14554 Elm Street

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

1896, 1921, 1-story wood frame structure with central gabled entrance bay. Built by Benjamin Crauford; the 1896 school was a replacement building for an earlier public female school built in 1867; the building was converted to a residence in 1921; highly visible small-scale landmark in Upper
Marlboro.


Old Town College Park Historic District

College Park, MD 20740

Additional Resource

The Old Town College Park Historic District extends from the dates 1889 to 196 5 and is a representative example of the many residential subdivisions that emerged as the suburbs of Washington, D.C., expanded with the advent of the streetcar and automobile at the end of the nineteenth century and in the early- to mid-twentieth century.


Patuxent Rural Life Museums at Patuxent River Parkpatuxent rural life museum exhibit

1600 Croom Airport Road

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

301-627-6074

Additional Resource

The Patuxent Rural Life Museums, located within the 7,000-acre Patuxent River Park, are a collection of museums and farm buildings dedicated to preserving the heritage of southern Prince George's County. There are seven buildings at the site: the Duvall Tool Museum, the Blacksmith Shop, the Farrier and Tack Shop, a Tobacco Farming Museum, and the 1880 Duckett Log Cabin with its privy, chicken coop, and meat house.


Poplar Hill on His Lordship's KindnessPoplar Hill

7606 Woodyard Road

Clinton MD 20735

301-856-0358

Additional Resource

Owned and operated by the John M. and Sara R. Walton Foundation, Inc., Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness is one of three structures in Prince George's County designated as National Historic Landmarks. Originally named "Poplar Hill," its present name is derived from a 7,000-acre land grand from Charles Calvert, the third Lord Baltimore, to Col. Henry Darnall in 1703. The current mansion was built between 1785 and 1787 by the colonel's great-grandson, Robert Darnall. He replaced the earlier residence of his father, Henry Darnall III, with this beautiful Georgian home. Since its construction, Poplar Hill has been home to many families, including the Darnalls, the Sewalls, the Daingerfelds, U.S. Senator John S. and Susan Daingerfeld Barbour, the Hales, the Dunhams, U.S. Ambassador David Bruce and his wife, Evangeline Bruce, the Sayers, and the last owners, the Walton family. Poplar Hill on His Lordship's Kindness is an institution within a community that reflects the human spirit and the history of nation within the telling of stories about families, both black and white, from the late 17th century through the time of 20th century. Poplar Hill is currently closed.


Poplar Hill School

19104 Croom Road

Brandywine MD 20613

1936 side-gabled frame schoolhouse. Poplar Hill School is significant for its role in the history of public education for African-Americans in Prince George's County during the era of government-sanctioned segregation. Poplar Hill School was the second school for "colored" students in the area, replacing a small one-room schoolhouse located approximately 600 feet to the northwest.


Prince George's Bank, Hyattsville

5214 Baltimore Avenue

Hyattsville MD 20781

1926, 1948-49 Neoclassical brick and limestone bank. One of the bank's directors, T. Howard Duckett, a local attorney and businessman, helped form the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission in 1918 and The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission in 1927.


Radio and Television Museum Radio and Television Museum

2608 Mitchellville Road

Bowie MD 20715

301-390-1020

Additional Resource

Explore radio from Marconi's earliest wireless telegraph to the primitive crystal sets of the 1920s, from Depression-era cathedrals and post-War plastic portables to the development of radio with pictures (a.k.a. television). The museum is located in the 1906 Harmel House, an old storekeeper's residence in the village of Mitchellville, a section of modern south Bowie. In conjunction with the City of Bowie, the Radio History Society presents the history of broadcasting, a medium which so dramatically shaped our lives from the 1920s to today.


Ridgeley Rosenwald School

8507 Central Avenue

Capitol Heights MD 20743

1927, vernacular wood frame shingled school building with hipped roof. Built in 1927 as part of the Rosenwald program, later used as a special center and since 1960 served as the bus management office for Prince George's County Public schools. Most intact of the 9 remaining of the original 23 Rosenwald Schools in the County.


Riverdale Baptist Church

6200 Riverdale Road

Riverdale MD 20737

301-249-7001

Additional Resource

1896, 2 1/2 story hip-roof frame dwelling with wraparound porch, projecting bay and ornamental shingle siding. Outstanding example of late Victorian domestic architecture, the only surviving historic dwelling in its immediate neighborhood.


Riversdale House Museum Riversdale House Museum

4811 Riverdale Road

Riverdale MD 20737

301-864-0420

Additional Resource

Riversdale, a National Historic Landmark, is a restored, five-part, stucco-covered brick plantation home built between 1801 and 1807. Construction of this elegant manor house was begun for Henri Stier, a Flemish aristocrat, and was completed by his daughter Rosalie and her husband, George Calvert, grandson of the fifth Lord Baltimore. The mansion blends both Flemish and American architectural styles and has particularly fine interior plaster detail. The site is also home to a gift shop.


Saint Mary's Beneficial Society Hall

14825 Pratt Street

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

c. 1892 -one-story, front-gabled frame structure with entrance, porch and small box office at west gable end. For nearly a century the center of social, religious, and charitable activities of local black Catholic community; last remaining building of a group of stores and houses on Pratt Street dating from 1850 to 1930; restored as law office in 1980s.


Saint Paul's Methodist Episcopal Church

6634 St. Barnabas Road

Oxon Hill MD 20745

301-567-4433

Additional Resource

St. Paul's is thought to be he oldest black congregation in Prince George's County. The original church was constructed in 1888. In 1915, the present sanctuary, a small front gabled building with pointed arch towers and a three-story corner tower, was built. The original church was destroyed in the 1920s and replaced by a series of church additions. The church's congregation preceded the construction in 1888. Traveling clerics in the late 18th century preached to a group of freed blacks in Oxon Hill who had built their own meetinghouse. This group is believed to have a connection to the African American Methodist congregation that in 1867 acquired the land on which St. Paul's was built.


Saint Thomas Methodist Church & Cemetery

18810 Aquasco Road

Brandywine MD 20613

1911, frame meeting-house style rural chapel; Gothic arch windows with tracery. Built to replace the Reconstruction-era school/church building; focal point of local black community and best surviving example of its type.


Seabrook Schoolhouse

6116 Seabrook Road

Lanham MD 20706

301-464-5291

Additional Resource

The Seabrook Schoolhouse, built in 1896 by the residents of the Seabrook community, provided education for grades one through seven until the early 1950s. The one-room schoolhouse is one of the few surviving one-room schoolhouses in Prince George's County. The building is unique in that it was designed to resemble the Victorian Gothic architectural style of the cottages originally built in the community.


Suitland ParkwaySuitland Parkway

Suitland Parkway

Suitland MD 20746

Additional Resource

1937, 1943, 1944, 9 mile long, dual lane parkway w/concrete-arch bridges faced w/stone; connects Andrews Air Force Base with Bolling Air Force Base in Washington, D. C.. Planned before the outbreak of World War II, the project came to fruition with the entrance of the US into the war and the establishment of Andrews Air Force Base a few months later. Significant for its association with the war and the base.


Thrift Schoolhouse

11110 Thrift Road

Clinton MD 20735

1884, 1-story, 3-bay schoolhouse of wood-frame construction with side gabled roof. Constructed for white students in the county, the school served several communities until a new, more convenient site for a school was chosen in 1909; significant as one of the oldest extant schoolhouses in the county and an excellent example of vernacular school architecture from the late 19th century.


Trinity Episcopal Church Rectory

6112 Ivyridge Court

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

Additional Resource

c. 1865, c. 1901, 3 part vernacular frame house includes side porch addition and large rear wing forming a T. Land purchased from Dr. Frederick Sasscer in 1865; served as rectory until 1892, then sold to James I. Coffren who added rear wing; purchased by Anthony Wyvill, whose family lived there until 1992.


Union (Memorial) Methodist Church

14418 Old Marlboro Pike

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

Additional Resource

1916 frame gable-roof church with pointed-arch windows and three-story entry tower. Visible symbol of local black Methodist community, continuing the tradition of the Civil War period Union Chapel.


Wilmer's Park

15710 Brandywine Road

Brandywine MD 20613

301-751-5074

Additional Resource

1947-1970; 80-acre parcel containing the ruins of a dance hall, motel, ranch house, covered stage, baseball and football fields. As a major stop on the Chitlin Circuit, Wilmer’s Park opened its doors to African-American musicians, entertainers, athletes and fans from the early 1950s through the late 1960s; Arthur Wilmer used his experience and connections developed as the owner of a night club in Washington, D. C. to bring both popular acts and up-and-coming performers to rural Prince George’s County; the bandstand at Wilmer’s Park showcased everyone from Duke Ellington and Otis Redding to the Temptations, Patti La Belle, and a young Stevie Wonder; the former tobacco farm played an important role in exposing emerging musicians to local African Americans during a time of segregation.


Wilson Station Radio Tower

6900 Block of Old Landover Road

Cheverly MD 20785

Early 20th Century Railroad tower on the Washington spur line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. Only remaining tower on line; built in same general location as Wilson Station, from which the National Equal Rights party marched in September 1884 when they nominated Belva Lockwood to be President of the United States.


Woodville School

21500 Aquasco Road

Aquasco MD 20608

Additional Resource

1934, one-story frame schoolhouse with three classrooms built to serve black children in the Woodville/Aquasco area. The school house was sold by auction in 1956 to the Knights of St. John’s Commandery #373 for use as its headquarters.


Woodyard Site

Woodyard Circle

Upper Marlboro MD 20772

Location of Henry Darnall’s early 18th-century mansion and merchant Stephen West’s Revolutionary War supply factory; temporary headquarters of American troops during British invasion in 1814 ; important historical archeological site.


 

 

 

 

Special activities, programs, and events are held at our Historic sites throughout the year. Click here for our Calendar of Events.

Photos are courtesy of their respective websites.